We recently moved into a new place just across the street from our old place. We wanted to stay in our neighborhood, and luckily our landlady's had another space open up and we jumped on it pretty quick! Things in this neighborhood almost all get rented by word of mouth within 48 hours.
The new space had so many good things going for it: huge open kitching/living, tons of natural light, front porch, lots of space, etc. It just needed a little but of love to bring out its natural beauty.
Here are some simple and budget-friendly house upgrades we did to personalize the space:
1. Painting. The previous color was a grey/green ish, and want we wanted a fresh, clean feeling to it. We painted it ourselves room by room (still not completely done with every room), and it made SUCH a difference!
2. Curtains. Some of the windows had blinds on them already, but none of them matched and they weren't the most beautiful thing to look at. Thankfully, Adams's mom has a passion and serious skills with interior design, and she hooked us up with some amazing floor-to-ceiling curtains. The actual curtains themselves are drop cloths (this is so much cheaper than buying 6 curtains), and the rods are just giant metal rods she spray painted bronze and we attached to the wall. The hooks are from Bed Bath and Beyond. It was about a three day project, and thankfully Tappi is a literal angel from heaven and took care of all of it for it. We love how they came out!
3. Switch out the ceiling fans for pendants. I was skeptical about this at first, but Adam insisted we needed to remove the old ceiling fans in the kitchen/living room and put these pendant lights. I'm really glad we did because they look so much better! The pendants are from Ikea and the shades are from World Market.
4. Add shelves. Adam built a book shelf and we put up a few other ones around the house to put plants. This gave us more space to decorate without taking up floor space with furniture.
5. Add a bunch of plants for good vibes. We pretty much always splurge on plants, flowers, herbs, etc. to keep around the house. They make us happy!
The Final Look:
We definitely are not done yet, but I'm super happy with how the space is coming along! It's amazing what paint and some little touches can do to a space. Happy home improving!